Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage in Dorchester County June 1

Dorchester Banner
Posted 5/21/24

For the first time in nine years, Dorchester County will be a feature on the traditional statewide Maryland House & Garden Pilgrimage. The tour will spotlight six waterfront homes in the Neck …

You must be a member to read this story.

Join our family of readers for as little as $5 per month and support local, unbiased journalism.

Already a member? Log in to continue.   Otherwise, follow the link below to join.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage in Dorchester County June 1


For the first time in nine years, Dorchester County will be a feature on the traditional statewide Maryland House & Garden Pilgrimage. The tour will spotlight six waterfront homes in the Neck District of Dorchester County. It’s a rare opportunity to visit these impressive properties situated along the Little Choptank River’s scenic shorelines. The homes will be open on June 1 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Another special feature is the chance to purchase and enjoy a traditional crab cake sandwich (with sides, drink and dessert) lunch at the Neck District Fire House, 954 Cook Point Road, Cambridge. The sales of the $20 lunch will benefit the Neck District Volunteer Fire Company which is partnering with the Handsell board and MHGP.

The following homes are featured on the tour and are accessed only by a shuttle from Stop #1 Neck District Fire House (park here) where you will check in and receive a wristband:

Stop #2 Quiet Waters: This historic dwelling is a distinctive mid-18th century, Georgian farmhouse. It was built in 1750 on a 1695 Land Grant, called Mitchells’ Garden that was 1,200 acres bestowed from the King of England to John Wesley Mitchell. The exquisite restoration with period details is breathtaking and will transport you to another time.

Stop #3 Pirates Cove: A newly constructed waterfront retreat, the home was built on the original 18th century Littleworth plantation patent. It is decidedly nautical in its decoration and accessories and was designed for optimal views of Hudson Creek. Creative and amusing touches add charm to the gardens.

Stop #4 Addition to Rosses Chance: a circa 1750 tidewater colonial, this home was once part of a 168-acre farm that included Rosses Wharf, a major stop of the steamboat Emma Giles. Built in the classic telescope frame style, the home was enlarged over a 200-year period.  It is furnished with period antiques, artwork and many interesting collections.

Stop #5 Sunset Cove: This circa 1863 farmhouse, once nearly a ruin, has been beautifully remodeled and shows how a historic home can incorporate modern design sensibilities without destroying the period proportions and spaces. The nearby guest house, built in 2004, is also featured on the tour.  The property is enhanced by a runway for the owner’s plane and a Hinckley 32’ picnic boat at the dock.

Visitors may drive at their leisure to Stops #6 to #9. Follow the road signs for MHGP Tour:

Stop # 6 Peace Farm, 5617 Riverton Road. This modern home mimics the vernacular farmhouse originally located at this site. It is now a light-filled open space and includes a waterfront three-season room with a cozy fireplace that extends the living space. The beautiful views across Hudson Creek allow a glimpse of the historic and rare Boat House at Littlesworth Farm.

Stop # 7 Peaceful Watch, 5235 Ragged Point Road. Built in 2007, this shingle-style, three-story home is reminiscent of New England waterfront architecture, and its many decks allow for magnificent water views. The Bay-Wise certified landscaping features cultivated perennial beds planted with native trees, flowers and grasses, a rain garden, and vegetable plot. (Please note there is a one-story stairway entrance into the house with no elevator.)

Stop # 8 St. John’s Chapel: Built in 1852-53 as a Chapel of Ease (convenience for country residents), the Gothic Revival-inspired structure is distinctive for the late use of exposed and decorated framing and remains one of the earliest extant examples of Gothic Revival on the lower Eastern Shore. The asymmetrical bell tower was added to the northeast corner of the church in 1939. Today St. John’s remains an active parish. The floral designs for the altar are courtesy of the Dorchester Garden Club and the chapel is staged for a 19th century waterman’s wedding, including an antique wedding dress.

Stop # 9 Spocott Windmill and Village was built in 1972 by Jim Richardson, a master boatbuilder. It is a reconstruction of a windmill built by John Anthony LeCompte Radcliffe about 1852 and which blew down in a blizzard in March 1888. The current mill is an English post mill, with the entire housing resting on one post, allowing the entire building to be turned into the wind. Since 1972 several other buildings have been moved to the site, creating a small replica village from the 19th century including a one and a half story colonial cottage c. 1800 and set up as the Adaline Wheatley Cottage. The General Store with Senator Radcliffe’s office, the original Castle Haven Schoolhouse and most recently a blacksmith shop complete the village. The site is maintained by the Radcliffe family.

Information and tickets are available at Proceeds from the tour benefit Handsell, a National Register Listed Historic Site.

Members and subscribers make this story possible.
You can help support non-partisan, community journalism.