BALTIMORE — The annual Maryland House & Garden Pilgrimage (MHGP) enters its third week and will be on tap through May 30. Last week St. Mary’s County was featured, this week on Saturday Dorchester will be featured. A longstanding Maryland tradition, the Pilgrimage provides access to some of Maryland’s most noteworthy private properties and enables residents to see their home state with fresh eyes. The 2015 tour includes 44 private homes, gardens, farms, wineries, churches and historic sites in five counties. Remaining tours include Anne Arundel County (May 16); Baltimore City/Roland Park (May 17) and Washington County (May 30). Advance tickets for each tour are $30 per person ($35 if purchasing day-of). Catered lunches will be available on all tours. Purchase tickets and get more information at mhgp.org or 410-821-6933.
The annual spring tours are a central component of MHGP’s efforts to cultivate awareness of Maryland’s rich architectural and cultural heritage. Every year, proceeds from the tour support designated preservation projects in each host community. To date, the Pilgrimage has raised more than $1 million for the preservation and restoration of architecturally significant properties throughout the State of Maryland while entertaining and educating thousands of attendees.
Here are some of the stops featured on the tour through Dorchester County this year:
Stop 7 Dorchester Center for the Arts, Cambridge
A nonprofit organization founded in 1970, the Dorchester Center for the Arts is situated on Historic High Street in Cambridge where it offers gallery shows, arts classes and an artisans’ gift shop. The Center for the Arts has redeveloped the historic Art-Deco Nathan Building at 321 High St. in Cambridge. This 17,000 square foot former furniture store is being repurposed with state-of-the-art classrooms, galleries, an artisans’ gift shop, performing arts spaces and a gorgeous second floor reception area for special events. Proceeds from the MHGP Dorchester Box Lunch will go toward repairs and upkeep on the second floor reception room. May 9, 2015 is the Opening Reception for the Young People’s Art Show from 5-7:30 p.m.
Stop 8 Choptank River Lighthouse, Long Wharf, Cambridge
The first light at this location, built 1871, replaced a lightship which was stationed there the previous year. In 1881 ice piled up around the foundation, then a second ice flow in 1918 knocked the house from the piles, destroying it. The Cherrystone Bar Light was then moved by barge and placed on a new foundation in 1921, the only working lighthouse to be moved from one location to another in the Bay. This light lasted until 1964, when the house was dismantled during a general program of eliminating such lights. Screwpile lighthouses were once very common in the Chesapeake Bay. Today, only a few remain. The current Choptank River Lighthouse, dedicated Sept. 22, 2012 is a replica of the replacement lighthouse that once guided ships along the Choptank River. It houses the marina dockmaster’s office and a small museum. The lighthouse is a part of the U.S. Lighthouse Society’s Passport Program. For more information, visit www.ChoptankRiverLighthouse.org. Owners: City of Cambridge supported by the Friends of the Choptank River Lighthouse
Stop 9 Edward Lloyd, Jr. House in Cambridge
This late Victorian home was built in 1894-5 by Henry Lloyd who had a grander home down the street. Typical of many homes built in Cambridge during this period, it contains an ornate parlor and dining room with a side hall back to the kitchen and two bedrooms and study on the second floor. The present owner has lovingly assembled suitable late 19th century furnishings to authentically enhance the style of the home and accessorized with her own paintings and several interesting collections. The kitchen is scaled to the house and since little updating has been done, has a vintage appeal. The stairway to the second floor is narrow and steep and should be avoided by those who might have difficulty climbing steps. Owner: Marjorie Dixon Roxburgh