CAMBRIDGE -- The Cambridge Woman’s Club will hold the Gala Bazaar this October.
The event, scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 9 will run from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Sycamore Cottage located at 417 High St., Cambridge. Admission is free. While visiting the bazaar, be sure to visit the clubhouse where a variety of silent auction items will be ready for your bidding. Included in this auction will be China, crystal, dolls, toys, trains, furniture, etc. Many quality items along with some antiques.
Two special raffle items will be available. The first item is a memorial wooden plate handcrafted by Joseph Pax, a skilled craftsman in the area. The wood came from a Deodar Cedar tree at the front of Sycamore Cottage on High Street. Damaged during a storm, the wood of the tree was saved and used in the carving of this plate. The second item is a decorative pine tree created with oyster shells, icons of Dorchester County. It is hand designed by Kay Karminski.
On the clubhouse grounds, attendees will find many vendors offering hand-crafted items for sale, as well as local community organizations offering information and samples of their services. Stop at the Food Stand for a special bag lunch for $5 which includes an all-beef chili dog, chips and a drink. This is a family friendly event with plenty of children’s activities. Face-painting, fortune-telling and free books are just of few of the activities available.
Funds generated from the bazaar will support the maintenance of historic Sycamore Cottage as well as community outreach programs in local schools and Dorchester County Free Library.
It is supported by local businesses including Jean’s Jewelry (Secretary), Thomas’s Fine Jewelry, Harbor Dental Center, Driftwood Advanced Aesthetics and J.M. Clayton Crab Co. To donate please contact Cindy at 443-521-0324 or Kay at 410-967-5632.
Parking available off-street and next to Waugh Chapel United Methodist Church on day of event.
In addition, a special art exhibit by local artists will be on display in the “parlor room” of Sycamore Cottage. This exhibit will also be a part of Cambridge’s Art Walk in downtown Cambridge. Second Saturday is a time when Race Street is closed off for outdoor dining and shopping along the historic streets. Follow the signs from Race & High Streets to Sycamore Cottage at 417 Historic High St.
Sycamore Cottage was built in 1759 among a grove of Sycamore trees elsewhere on High Street. In 1840, it was moved its current address and was purchased by the Cambridge Woman’s Club in 1922. It is the club’s meeting place and was entered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.