Dorchester Center for the Arts provides year-round opportunities for meaningful fellowship and enjoyment of the arts. For monthly exhibits, studio classes, concerts and gallery entertainment — we welcome you warmly to learn, share, create and celebrate!
• Clay Handbuilding: Ornamental Box Project with instructor Jennifer Cristaudo
Learn how to construct and decorate a clay box, either lidded and used as a functional or ornamental box, or close-lidded as a candle box. Clay handbuilding and carving/sculpting decorative markings and images in relief will be explored. All materials provided. One 6-week session: Tuesdays, 1:30 – 3 p.m. Jan. 23 – March 6 (no class on Feb. 27) $105 DCA members, $145 future members.
• Decoy Carving for All, with instructor Warren Saunders
Students will carve a decoy using a knife or more advanced students will power carve in the Ward style. All decoys are completed with paint. $50 supply fee is payable to the instructor at first class date for wood, paint, and eyes for the project. A list of additional supplies and power tools is available. One 10-week session: Wednesday evenings, 6 – 9 p.m. Feb. 7 – April 11. $130 DCA members, $170 future members. (Plus supply fee payable to instructor)
Gallery Stage features:
• The Untouchables, Jan. 20, 7 – 9 p.m. Experience the powerhouse vocals of Elease and Danielle Bryant, accompanied by keyboardist Keith Bryant. This not-to-be-missed local favorite will bring down the house. Admission $10 DCA members, $12 general admission.
• Friday Night Live: Coffeehouse Open Mic, Jan. 26, 7-9 p.m. A fun, friendly supportive atmosphere for acoustic musicians, poets, storytellers and other folkies. Each show brings new talent and surprises to the stage. Performers welcome. Call DCA at 410-228-7782 to be added to the line up. Continues on Feb. 23 and March 30. Free admission.
• Les Rayne Variety Show, Feb. 3, 7 – 8:30 p.m. Lead singer Laurie and lead guitarist Scott take to the stage with some talented friends for an entertaining evening of song and dance numbers sure to please. Admission $10 DCA members, $12 general admission.
In the Galleries:
• The W. Robert Tolley Memorial Members’ Show, open through Jan. 28. This exhibit and sale includes a broad selection of members’ work in a variety of mediums, as well as select pieces by the late Bob Tolley.
In the Performance Hall:
• Continuum Dance Company – Jan. 21, 3 p.m. Continnum is an emerging and newly formed professional performance company bringing concert dance to Delmarva. Call DCA for ticket information: 410-228-7782.
For complete schedule of activities visit the Dorchester Center for the Arts online at www.dorchesterarts.org. Like us on Facebook! DCA is located at 321 High St. in historic downtown Cambridge. Open Tuesday – Thursday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and Sunday 1 – 5 p.m.
Programs at DCA are supported by the Maryland State Arts Council, now celebrating 50 years of service to the arts.
Editor’s note: Spectrum is the weekly column of the Dorchester Arts Center. It is written by Barbara J. Seese, executive director.