MIDDLETOWN — The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office determined that a Saturday afternoon fire heavily damaged a home was accidental, spokesman Michael Chionchio said.
The Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown responded to 911 calls reporting a house on fire around 12:30 p.m. in the unit block of Kirkcaldy Lane in the Estates at Saint Annes near Levels Road, Assistant State Fire Marshal Chionchio said. Fire companies surrounding Middletown and the New Castle County Paramedics also responded to assist Volunteer Hose. First arriving units observed flames on the exterior of the house. All occupants escaped unharmed.
Assistant State Fire Marshal Chionchio said investigation found that the fire started on the exterior of the home when discarded fireplace ashes ignited inside a trash container. The flames burned upward along the vinyl siding entering the home through a second floor window.
Fire damage was estimated at $50,000. There were no reported injuries.