Fires in Frederica, Greenwood displace six

By Craig Anderson
Posted 1/6/22

FREDERICA — A house fire caused an estimated $350,000 in damage Thursday afternoon and left five family members displaced.

Assistant State Fire Marshal Scott Bullock said the blaze in the …

Create an account for additional free stories

Thank you for visiting BayToBayNews. Registered visitors can read 5 free stories per month. Visit our sign-up page to register for your free stories.


Start a digital subscription today!

Subscribers can read unlimited stories for a special introductory rate of $5.99 per month.

Subscribers, please log in to continue

Fires in Frederica, Greenwood displace six

Posted

FREDERICA — A house fire caused an estimated $350,000 in damage Thursday afternoon and left five family members displaced.

Assistant State Fire Marshal Scott Bullock said the blaze in the 500 block of Otter Way originated in an attached garage but the cause remained as Deputy State Fire Marshals continue to investigate. No injuries were reported.

The occupants of the two-story home reported the fire at 12:50 p.m. and the Frederica Volunteer Fire Company and other nearby fire department responded. Firefighters arrived to see heavy fire and smoke coming from the residence, according to Mr. Bullock.

The fire was placed under control at 2 p.m.

The Delmarva chapter of the American Red Cross was dispatched to Frederica at 2 p.m., and arrived to the scene by 2:43 p.m., Executive Director Theresa Young said. A request for lodging was made.

Mr. Young said that “Red Cross serves to bridge the gap between the immediate need and when insurance can step in.

“In this family’s case, we were able to assist with lodging and basic needs. We also activated our Health Services to replace durable medical needs and any medications that may have been lost.

“Red Cross will continue to work with our clients to aid towards recovery with services to meet the family’s needs and connect them to our community partners. “

Later Thursday, an accidental house fire in Greenwood caused an estimated $5,000 in damage and left an occupant displaced. An investigation determined that a failure with an operating electrical heat lamp inside a detached shed caused the blaze.

Mr. Bullock said the fire in the 1100 block of Deep Grass Lane was reported at 9:21 p.m. The detached shed was fully involved in fire when the Houston Volunteer Fire Company arrived and was spreading to the home. Additional neighboring fire companies also responded to assist, Mr. Bullock said.

The fire was placed under control shortly before 10:30 p.m. No injuries were reported.

The home’s occupant also received assistance from the Red Cross of Delmarva.

The Greenwood 911 call arrived at 10:48 p.m. and included a request for food, water, and sheltering. Red Cross staff made a call to connect with the displaced resident at 11:30 p.m. before connecting in person, Ms. Young said.

According to Ms. Young, the fires were two of the eight calls requesting Red Cross assistance in a 48-hour span.