This article has been updated to include a statement form Irish Milke's Olde Towne Pub's owner Kevin Howard sent Friday via his attorney John W. Paradee
DOVER — The city announced Thursday that it has reinstated Irish Mike’s Olde Town Pub’s business license following a meeting with officials and the establishment's owner.
“Be advised that following a meeting ... with (owner) Kevin Howard and (his attorney) John Paradee attended by Chief (Tom) Johnson and (City Solicitor) Nick Rodriguez, I reinstated the business license of Irish Mikes Olde Towne Pub effective Friday, Oct. 15,” David Hugg, Dover’s director of planning and inspection, said in a statement Thursday.
“This reinstatement is based on a commitment by the owner to address underlying causes of prior incidents.”
The move is subject to ongoing discussions and a 60-day review, he added.
The meeting was held Wednesday.
Irish Mike's owner, Mr. Howard, said he is looking forward to opening soon, via an emailed statement sent to the Delaware State News on Friday by his attorney John W. Paradee.
"We are obviously grateful that the city has agreed to reissue Irish Mike’s business license, and we look forward to reopening soon. We are also committed to undertaking remedial measures that will address the concerns which led the city to suspend Irish Mike’s business license, and we look forward to working proactively with city leadership, the chief of police, and our neighbors as we all strive to make downtown Dover a better and safer place to live, work, visit, and enjoy."
Irish Mike’s business license was pulled and its liquor license suspended last month due to what Dover Mayor Robin Christiansen at the time called a “matter of public safety.”
In late September, Mr. Hugg announced that Irish Mike’s would be retroactively suspended for 30 days, beginning Sept. 9, the day the bar closed.
The suspension ended Oct. 8.
According to city leaders, the closure was the result of Dover law enforcement officials being called to the 107 W. Loockerman St. tavern 35 times between May 14 and Sept. 4.
In a statement released Monday, Mr. Howard disagreed with the city’s implication that his business was the cause of police calls to the area near his establishment and insisted that crime has continued while his business has been closed.
“In the weeks since my business was wrongfully shut down by the city, the issues the city has complained of, and tried to blame on Irish Mike’s, continue unabated. Individuals continue to gather in large numbers on and around Loockerman Street: drinking, listening to loud music, and sitting in parked cars, with all the attendant issues that surround same — including fighting and firearm violence. All while Irish Mike’s remains shuttered,” he said.