CAMBRIDGE — On April 10, the Captain John Smoot Chapter, Maryland Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, hosted a ceremony honoring Revolutionary War patriots buried at Christ Church cemetery in Cambridge.
Beginning in 1904, the remains of Revolutionary War Patriots were moved to what was then called Heroes’ Corner from graves deemed to be at risk of being lost due to shore erosion, farming or overgrowth. There are 10 known patriots of the American Revolution buried there.
The first SAR grave marker was placed in 1923 on the grave of Governor John Henry followed in 1948 by the placement of six additional SAR grave markers. During the most recent event, the Captain John Smoot Chapter marked the final three known patriot graves in the ceremony. The chapter is seeking to find and document patriot graves on the Eastern Shore.
The ceremony was supported by the Maryland Society Sons of the American Revolution Color Guard. Maryland Society President Gene Moyer attended.