CAMBRIDGE — A local company has stepped up to supply firefighters with the safety equipment they need.
“In these difficult times when businesses and front-line health and emergency workers are struggling to keep employees and those they serve safe, we must rely on our community for help,” a statement from the office of Dorchester Chamber of Commerce President/CEO Bill Christopher said on Monday. “David J. DeLuca, owner of DELCO Packaging, was appalled to read that the Cambridge Rescue Fire Company (RFC) was denied PPE by the Dorchester County Council.”
On Jan. 13, the Dorchester Banner published an account of the council’s Jan. 5 decision. Members Jay Newcomb, Libby Nagel and William Nichols opposed Rescue Fire Company’s request, saying supplies were limited. Members Ricky Travers and Lenny Pfeffer supported the request.
The council agreed to provide a lesser amount of personal protective equipment.
Upon seeing the list of required PPE and after a meeting internally, DELCO Packaging decided to purchase all the PPE needed. “Mr. DeLuca, a former resident of 50 years of Dorchester County and a current business owner in Dorchester County, quickly understood the importance of having a ready supply of PPE to protect his former neighbors, current employees, and family members still working and living in Dorchester County,” the statement said.
The following is the listing or PPE requested by and supplied to RFC by DELCO Packaging.
• 500 disposable masks - Three-ply disposable face mask with ear loop, blue color.
• 100 KN95 disposable face masks - Fish style with ear loop, white color. The fish-style shape provides three layers of protection, ear loop and adjustable nose piece.
• 100 Coveralls - White 55g microporous coverall with hood, elastic cuffs, ankles, and waist.
• 50 face shields - Polymer material with a sponge forehead, elastic head band, and they come with double side Anti-Fog treatment.
• 4 cases of gloves - Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large Black Nitrile gloves.
DELCO Packaging distributes packaging products and adhesives to companies in the Mid-Atlantic region. Founded in 1981, the company’s mission was to provide packaging to the neglected manufacturers on Maryland and Delaware’s Eastern Shore and in the Baltimore area. Visit delcopkg.com for more information.