Poultry house in Crisfield destroyed by fire

Posted

CRISFIELD — Approximately 27,000 chicken were killed in a fire that is suspected to have been caused by a propane heating system inside a chicken house at 3667 Freedomtown Road in Crisfield.

One of the owners Kevin Du called the alarm in just before 10 a.m. on Sunday, April 18. Crisfield and allied volunteer firefighters arrived and it took approximate two hours and 10 minutes to get under control.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal, which is investigating, noted that the fire alarm system was present and did activate. The chicken house was approximately 50 feet wide by 500 feet long and with the contents valued at $50,000.

There were no injuries reported.