SMYRNA - Two Smyrna residents were displaced after an accidental residential fire Friday night, authorities said.
According to Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal spokesman Michael G. Chionchio, a female resident was in stable condition after being transported to Bayhealth Hospital, Kent Campus for smoke inhalation. The American Red Cross was dispatched to provide emergency assistance for the residents.
Mr. Chionchio said the Citizens Hose Company responded to the 500 block of Smyrna Landing Road near the DuPont Parkway around 10:30 pm for a report of a house on fire. Firefighters encountered a large amount of flames on the exterior rear of the dwelling.
Deputy fire marshals were called to the scene to investigate and determined that the blaze originated on the exterior rear deck of the home. Electrical equipment on the deck failed, resulting in the ignition of items on the deck.
Fire damage was estimated at $175,000, Mr. Chionchio said.