Fire and police briefs

Posted 7/6/21

Ocean City fireworks mishapOcean City Fire Marshals are continuing safety inspections at both fireworks locations after the unintended discharge of fireworks on the beach. Due to an abundance of …

Create an account for additional free stories

Thank you for visiting BayToBayNews. Registered visitors can read 5 free stories per month. Visit our sign-up page to register for your free stories.

Start a digital subscription today!

Subscribers can read unlimited stories for a special introductory rate of $5.99 per month.

Subscribers, please log in to continue

Fire and police briefs


Ocean City fireworks mishap
Ocean City Fire Marshals are continuing safety inspections at both fireworks locations after the unintended discharge of fireworks on the beach. Due to an abundance of caution, this evening’s Downtown Fireworks have been canceled. Updates for the Uptown Show at Northside Park will be provided when they become available.

On Sunday, July 4, 2021, the Ocean City Fire Department was alerted for a vehicle fire at Dorchester Street and the beach.
Firefighters arrived to find that no vehicle was on fire; however, there was an unintentional discharge of fireworks that were being set up on the beach for the Town’s fireworks show.

During the unintentional discharge, employees of the fireworks company received minor injuries and refused transport to the hospital by Ocean City Paramedics. No beach or boardwalk patrons were injured.

“Our Fire Marshals are on the scene and will investigate the cause of the unintentional discharge,” said Ocean City Fire Chief Richie Bowers. “Prior to the fireworks being off loaded from the vehicle, Fire Marshals secure a safe zone around the fireworks and put other safety protocols in place. It is this very zone and safety protocols that kept anyone else from being injured,” he concluded.
The Ocean City Fire Department will provide updates as they become available.

Hogan: Pay hike for corrections
Governor Larry Hogan on July 2 announced $13 million in salary increases for employees who are charged with the care and custody of inmates within Maryland’s correctional facilities. This follows the administration’s announcement the previous week of increased salaries for new hires into these critical positions.

These salary enhancements are designed to enhance the state’s ability to compete in an area that has seen recruitment challenges despite many innovative efforts to hire correctional officers.

“This is vital work and the individuals who maintain the security of our correctional institutions and oversee the work of inmates deserve recognition for performing this challenging job,” Governor Hogan said. “I am pleased to be able to offer these increases, which are well-deserved.”

Hit-and-run suspect arrested
On June 30, at approximately 6:06 p.m., officers from the Salisbury Police Department responded to the 1100 block of E. Main Street in reference to a hit-and-run motor vehicle incident. Upon the officers’ arrival, they observed a 7-year-old male child being held by a person who allegedly witnessed the collision. The child had visible injuries to his head, face, and leg.

The investigation revealed that a gold, early model Honda Accord was traveling westbound on E. Church Street just west of the intersection of E. Main Street and E. Church Street. Witnesses described the operator of this vehicle as a thin male with black hair.

The victim was attempting to cross the street and the Honda Accord allegedly struck the child in the roadway. The operator of the gold Honda Accord ultimately fled the scene without stopping to render assistance to the victim.

The victim was transported to Tidal Health at Peninsula Regional and shortly thereafter to Shock Trauma in Baltimore. The victim’s condition was considered stable at the time of the report.

The Salisbury Police Department released information to the community for assistance in this investigation. Due to an overwhelming response from community members, detectives and officers were able to identify the driver as a 35-year-old man. Salisbury Police personnel were able to make contact with Mr. Osborne, who responded to the Salisbury Police Department on July 1, at approximately 9:30 p.m.
Shortly thereafter, Jeremy Osborne Sr. was placed under arrest and released to the Wicomico County Detention Center where he had an initial appearance before a District Court Commissioner.

“The Salisbury Police Department would like to thank the members of the community, who were of great assistance in this investigation and aided in an expeditious resolution,” a statement from the department said.