Felton commercial building fire deemed accidental

Daily State News
Posted 11/20/23

A commercial building fire in Felton that caused around $300,000 in damage Saturday was accidentally caused, the Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office said.

You must be a member to read this story.

Join our family of readers for as little as $5 per month and support local, unbiased journalism.

Already a member? Log in to continue.   Otherwise, follow the link below to join.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Felton commercial building fire deemed accidental


FELTON — A commercial building fire that caused around $300,000 in damage Saturday was accidentally caused, the Office of the State Fire Marshal determined.

According to spokesperson Brian Bullock, the blaze was reported at 2:35 p.m. by a rental tenant of the J&J Contracting storage facility in the 9000 block of South Dupont Highway.

The Felton Fire Co. responded, arriving to heavy smoke and fire inside the large structure, Mr. Bullock said. Assistance was requested from several other fire departments.

One firefighter was transported to Bayhealth Hospital, Kent Campus in Dover with a minor leg injury sustained during the incident.

The fire was placed under control at 4:50 p.m., Mr. Bullock said.

Investigators determined that the blaze originated in a vehicle inside a privately rented storage unit and spread to other attached units, authorities said.

Mr. Bullock added that the cause was a malfunction in the 2015 GMC pickup’s engine compartment, which was being worked on at the time. It was unable to be moved out of the building before flames spread to combustible materials.

Members and subscribers make this story possible.
You can help support non-partisan, community journalism.